Monday 11 November 2013

Cleaning Boots!

The task most of us dread... Boot cleaning! Sadly it's something we should do to keep our boots in good condition and make them last longer. I've had my Ariat Grasmere's (old style) around 2 years and they have only just started to wear on the heel. They are still waterproof and I wear them most days. I suppose it is optional as to whether or not you clean your boots, I know some people with the same boots as me and they've never seen a sponge yet they're 3+ years old! In this post I'll show you what products I use and how to use them. 

1. Grab your boots and either a) hose them off if they have been in a lot of mud or b) go to step 3 if your boots aren't that mucky and they are dry.

2. If your boots are extra mucky grab a sponge and with soap wash them, be careful not to go near the zips if you have them. Leave to dry completely, avoid direct sources of heat as it will crack the leather.

3. I use NAF quick clean for leather (including tack). It smells strong but is very good at cleaning the bits of dirt you've missed! Spray it all over your boots if they are all leather and avoid any suede if there's some on your boots. If they're still a bit mucky leave it on for a minute then using a sponge wipe off any dirt from all the leather on your boots. Spray more if needed. This stuff is great at it's job so this should only take a minute per boot.

4. Next I use NAF neatsfoot oil. You can either use a brush or a sponge (not the one you used to clean your boots in step 3). Use a good amount and use on all the leather on your boots, if it soaks in really quickly then put more on but try not to use too much as leather needs to breathe. Let this soak in.

5. If you have suede on your boots, like I do, use a suede and nu buck cleaner. I got mine from Tesco in the shoe cleaning section. Mine has a prickly end so spray some on the suede and use the lid with the prickly end in circular motions. 

6. Only do this around 1-2 times per month and only apply once all oil has been absorbed, this step might be best to do the next day. I use an all natural leather balsam called Renapur which in my opinion, is the best balsam in the world, it nourishes the leather and waterproofs it. This can also be used on tack, leather sofas, motorbike gear etc. Use this in small quantities as a little bit goes a long way. Apply to leather only, avoid any suede!!! It can be quite sticky at first so avoid dusty/hairy areas otherwise you'll end up with furry boots!

7. I also occasionally use a waterproofing spray just as a quick spray all over the suede just for extra protection.

8. Lastly, store in a dry warm place to help the balsam soak in and enjoy having clean boots! I normally go the whole hog twice a month, the rest of the time (around once a week) I'll use the quick clean spray and oil them.



I hope this has helped someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment